Sunday, January 31, 2010

A Story

After an unusually restful nights sleep we awoke to find dad in the same position that he fell asleep in the night before. It seems that he has gone into a kind of comatose state, although he does respond to his name and move his limbs. This is certainly a step closer to the end, but also possibly a blessing of peaceful rest for him. Church and neighborhood friends stopped by with offerings of support and short visits with dad. What blessings the body of Christ is able to offer.

When we think of this blog, our desire is for it to honor dad and his heart. So, in honor of him I want to share a story with you that he has always loved.

I was a senior in high school and starting to think about which college to attend in the Fall. To help narrow the decision, my dad and I took a visit out to another high school that was hosting colleges from all over the area, for seniors to take a look at. As we were driving he asked me where I thought I would want to go. I replied with a couple of Bible colleges that I had looked at, then said "Anywhere but K-State." He nodded in agreement, but what I didn't realize at the time was that his mission then became to change my mind. He was an Ag guy and was of course a fan of any Ag school, especially one close to home.

We arrived and began browsing. After lots of looking, and feeling no more decisive then when I had arrived, we stopped walking directly in front of an auditorium. The doormen seemed to just be closing the doors, but looked up at my dad and I and asked, "The presentation is about to begin, would you folks like in?" With such a last minute offer I felt the pressure to comply before I even realized what school was being presented. I quickly asked what school it was, and they replied proudly with, "K-State!" Dad smiled unabashedly as they ushered us in. Dad led the way, walking past every open seat in every row, until we reached two perfectly placed seats, front row and center.

As the information was presented my heart began to soften towards this Ag school, out in the middle of what felt like "nowhere" to a Johnson County raised teenager. As I soaked up the information, above my head dad was launching his next ploy to win me over to K-State. He began making "eyes" at the presenter who was sitting on stage. Dad's eyebrows began to raise as his head motioned in my direction, non-verbal signals telling this guy to "hook me". The presentation ended and to my surprise the head presenter marched right off the stage, down the stairs and came right over to shake my hand. "Weird," I thought, but how nice that he wanted to meet me. He proceeded to answer any question I had and continued to sell me on the school. Not wanting to over commit myself I mentioned, "Well, I was really actually looking at attending a Bible College." The man didn't skip a beat as he launched into information about "A great little bible college right across the street from K-State. People can even get a dual degree from both schools!"

After the meeting dad and I walked out of the auditorium and I remarked, "K-State really does seem like a neat school." He nodded calmly in agreement, but if I would've looked up at him I know that I would've seen that knowing smile on his face.

Thus the vision was set in my heart, and I proceeded to attend K-State and Manhattan Christian College for the next 5 1/2 years, loving the schools more and more with each passing year. Dad knew just what he was doing when he helped point me in that direction. Thanks dad.

11 comments:

  1. Lauren,

    I don't know that you'll read this before Larry goes on home, but tell you dad that I love him.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. lauren, im so thankful your dad got you hooked on ksu...imagine how different things would have been. love to your papa, and hugs to you and your mom and your sister. keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cousins Drenda and Joe PledgerJanuary 31, 2010 at 3:38 PM

    Dear Lauren,
    Your dad has been such an encouragement and inspiration to us for many years, especially during his illnesses and recoveries. It is evident that he put his faith into practice daily. We cherish the times we've spent together. Our prayers are with you all.

    Love,
    Cousins Drenda and Joe Pledger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cousin Traci (Pledger) BrooksJanuary 31, 2010 at 4:01 PM

    Dear Lauren,
    It is so sweet to read your loving thoughts of your Dad.It is a wonderful tribute you have done in his honor and God's.Your Dad was very encouraging to Randy and I as we started our business. Please tell him we love him."Let the beloved of the Lord rest secure in Him, for He shields him all day long,and the one the Lord loves rests between His shoulders."Deuteronomy 33:12.Our prayers and hugs are with you all.
    Love, Cousin Traci(Pledger)Brooks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers for your family. And hugs!
    Love,
    The Unruhs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lauren: Another great story and I can just see your dad calmly walking into that session not worried in the least of what others might think as he peacefully strolled down to the front row and also really not that worried that his young daughter might be a little bit embarrassed! I am glad you shared it with us for, through you, your dad's humor, past and present, is continuing to put smiles on our faces.

    I have found it so difficult to honor your mom's request that he just be given his privacy (and for us not to stop by) but I can sure understand why she asked! Just please whisper in his ear that Glo and I are always thinking of him and all of you during this difficult time! To God be the glory but may He also give each of you peace.

    Blessings,
    Darrell

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to thank you Lauren for this blog. I am so proud to be able to say that Larry J Heidebrecht is my cousin. I pray that he journeys home peacefully and know that my mama and daddy, his mom and dad, grandpa and grandma, aunts and uncles are all there to welcome him. Just as he will be there, with them, to welcome us when we all get to heaven. You are all in my prayers. As our Aunt Dorothy told me on my 21st birthday, Via con Dios dear Larry. I love you.

    may our Lord continue to wrap you in His loving arms and bless you all,

    Cousin Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Larry, Leslie, Lyndsay and Lauren,
    I have read the entries in your blog and want to say: Larry, You have 3 very beautiful ladies in your life! I know you know it!
    We are all truly "brand new" with Christ in our hearts. Thank you for all the MANY smiles and encouragments. You are loved!
    Diana Mitts

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember Larry well from school, he always had a big smile and a twinkle in his eyes. Please let him know that he is in my thoughts and prayers. Freda told me of your blog and I have been following it everyday. He is so blessed to have such a wonderful family!

    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been following your journal since your Mom shared it with me. I have loved reading your entries. Please give him my love and know our thoughts and prayers are with you and that God is with you all as Larry makes his final journey home. Love, Hugs, & Prayers
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Larry, you are so wise. Sometimes us young girls think we know what we want. At least, we want to know what we want. But sometimes we just need the strength of dad to just guide, to just say, let's head this way, so we can just rest in that and stop worrying and running in circles. Thanks for nudging Lauren my way. She has been my angel, as I know she is one of three for you. I wish I could be there so you could make pancakes and I could sit and chat the morning away.
    Dee-Anna

    ReplyDelete